Friday, May 13, 2005

Scrupulousity

Yesterday I checked my mail box at the post office. For the umpteenth time I got the previous person's mail. I've chucked that mail back so many times marked "NOT AT THIS ADDRESS!" but the stupid jerk's bank & credit card statements keep getting sent.

Afterwards I went to the newsagent and bought two newspapers and a magazine (some dog magazine with a Great Dane feature in case anybody is curious), and yeah I shelled out $2 extra for the Star Wars pin that is available if you buy a certain newspaper. I can't believe I'm getting suckered into buying a newspaper that I don't even read (it's a Murdoch/Newscorp paper).

Anyway to the point of this whole post. I took the stuff to the counter, fiddled for the right amount, and the girl says $11.45, which was a little more than I expected but I forgot about the $2 pin. So I handed over a $20 note & a 50 cent coin. In a second afterwards I did a quick mental calculation and determined that the total should have been $12.45. So she ended up giving me too much change. For some reason I was annoyed (probably because of the mail) and was thinking "Last week I had to remind you guys to charge me $9.70 instead of $5.70 for the papers and now I have to do your job for you again. Fuck it I 'm just going to pocket the difference."

But no of course, a short while later I kept thinking, I shouldn't have kept the extra $1, but I was carrying a lot of crap & a roast dinner so it was impractical to go back. So today when I went to buy the papers I paid exact change and gave the girl ( a different one) an extra $1 explaining that I'd been given too much change the previous day. You should have seen the look she gave me. It seemed to say something like "WTF??? Are you nuts???"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home